Consultation has concluded, thank you for your feedback.
On 20 February 2018, Council provided consent for a Planning Permit Application to be submitted based on Option B, an 18 hole golf course. Design work will commence $12.7 million upgrade to Sandringham Golf Course soon.
Features of the upgrade will include:
- Public driving range: 350 metre (approximately) long driving range including grass tees and target greens.
- Public short game practice area: Large chipping area and putting green.
- Public golf training facilities: Indoor training facilities including golf simulators.
- Public café: Public café within the main building with views over the course.
- An area for Golf Victoria and Course Management: Administration space for Golf Victoria and Sandringham Golf Links staff.
- Creation of another water body: For water storage and course irrigation, reducing the course’s reliance on potable water.
- Increase the number of indigenous trees and vegetation.
- Course safety improvements.
The decision to go ahead with the design is based on feedback received from the community. Click here to view the full engagement summary.
About the project
The Sandringham Golf Links Course Project (‘The Project’) is a joint initiative between Golf Victoria, Golf Australia, PGA Australia and the Sandringham Golf Links Management with funding support from the Victorian Government.
The Project will deliver course improvements, will provide high quality golf practice facilities for players of all levels from social and beginners to elite level golfers, and will help grow the sport of golf in the Bayside area – importantly, the course will remain a public golf course. The Project Team has received support from the Bayside City Council to further explore the design and consultation with stakeholders and the broader community prior to making a decision. For additional background information about the Project, refer to the Background Information Paper.
Council's role in the Sandringham Golf Course
Bayside City Council has provided in principle support for the Project Team to further explore the design and consultation with stakeholders and the broader community prior to making a decision on the proposal.
Council resolves that:
- Having reviewed the proposal to redevelop the Sandringham Golf Course including a driving range, reconfiguration of the course, training facilities and a new administration building, considers that the proposal has sufficient merit to continue to explore the design with Golf Victoria and Sandringham Golf Links Management.
- Immediately consults with affected stakeholders and the broader community on the proposal upon the completion of the preliminary design;
- Reviews the commercial terms of the lease with the tenant to ensure that any improvement in commerciality of the site is shared with Council; and
- Receives a report on the outcomes of the consultation to determine if the proposal should proceed.