We want to grow tree canopy cover in Bayside from 16% to 30% canopy cover by 2040.
Bayside’s Urban Forest Strategy aims to deliver urgent, meaningful action on climate change and enhance and protect our living environment.
A key action of the Urban Forest Strategy is to develop Precinct Plans for each suburb to guide tree planting and greening on a local level, prioritising the areas that need it most.
Each Precinct Plan will also contain different planting pallettes to enhance the visual and natural character of each local area.
The draft Precinct Plan for Beaumaris is the first to be developed and was endorsed by Council at its February 2023 meeting.
Consultation was undertaken from 28 October 2022 - 27 November 2022 and sought feedback from the community to ensure this Precinct Plan would help support residents to green their own spaces, identify ideal locations for priority planting, and introduce plant species to enhance biodiversity and retain the leafy character of Beaumaris. Read the community engagement report.
Draft Precinct Plans for all other suburbs are expected to be open for community consultation in early to mid-2023. Please select the +Subscribe button above to receive updates about this project.
Did you know?
We’ve planted 2,000 extra indigenous street and park trees in Bayside this year (in addition to the 1,400 trees we typically plant).
Beaumaris already has approximately 20% tree canopy cover and 18% understorey cover.
There are 8,584 trees managed and maintained by Council throughout Beaumaris. (2021)
Frequently asked questions
- What is the Urban Forest Strategy?
- Why do we need precinct plans?
- How were the precinct plans developed and the planting areas identified?
- When will the plan be delivered?
- What are the current controls in place for tree removal on private property in Beaumaris?
- What kinds of trees will be planted?
- What is understory planting and why is it important?
- Why is nature strip planting important?
- How can I help grow the urban forest?
Review the draft plan
Have your say on the draft Beaumaris Precinct Plan
Provide your feedback via a quick survey or written statement about the draft Beaumaris Precinct Plan.
Timeline item 1 - complete
28 October 2022 – 27 November 2022 (5pm)
Read about how we're engaging with our community on this project.
Timeline item 2 - active
Development of draft Precinct Plans for other Bayside suburbs
Select the +Subscribe button to receive notification about when your suburb’s Precinct Plan is open for engagement.
Timeline item 3 - active
Council to decide on Precinct Plans
Council will consider report on community feedback and adoption of Beaumaris Precinct Plan in February 2023.
Community engagement Precint Plans for other suburbs is expected to open in mid 2023.
To make a submission or enquiry, please get in touch via the following methods:
- Online survey
- Ask a question in the Q&A forum
- Email Ashka Munshi, Strategic Planner email@example.com
- Phone 9599 4365
- Book a meeting email Ashka Munshi to arrange a meeting
- In person to the Corporate Centre at 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham
- Post to Bayside City Council, PO Box 27 Sandringham 3091
- Anonymously via the postal, phone or email details above.
Please note: Materials can be provided in accessible formats on request.
Submissions closed 27 November 2022
Please select the blue subscribe+ button at the top of this page to receive updates about this project, including notification of when it will be considered at Council meetings.